Are you considering taking on the challenge of a marathon, but not sure where to start? Are you looking to set yourself a mammoth goal, despite being a total running beginner? Then this guide is for you. We’ll help you with everything you need to know to go from couch(ish) to running a 26.2 mile marathon over the course of several months. Even if you’re not signed up to a marathon event, you could still consider running a virtual marathon with this plan.
CAN BEGINNER RUNNERS COMPLETE A MARATHON?
This is a big question, with lots of ‘ifs’ and ‘buts’ to consider. Could someone who has never run before jump straight into running a marathon? Well, they could try, but it’s incredibly unlikely they’d finish without causing themselves major injuries or health issues. Can a total beginner train over time to run a marathon? Absolutely, if they’re prepared to commit to months of dedication and preparation.
Training is the key here – we’d recommend training even if you’re simply looking to walk a marathon, as you’d still need to prepare your body for the long distance and different weather conditions. So it’s even more important if you’re aiming to run the whole thing.
This may sound intimidating, but by creating a month-by-month plan and committing time each week to training, it is totally possible to go from couch to marathon in the space of a year.
WHY WOULD A TOTAL BEGINNER WANT TO RUN A MARATHON?
A marathon is a huge challenge, and an incredible goal to work towards. As places in marathon events are limited, once you know you’re taking part, you know you’ll be part of something special and exciting, but also difficult and strenuous. So why might beginners want to run a marathon?
- Personal achievement – knowing you’ve spent time and effort preparing for such a challenge, is an incredible feeling in itself, let alone the fantastic pride when you finally cross the finish line.
- Motivation – having a set goal to work towards means you might be more likely to stick to your fitness routine. Committing to a big event gives a purpose to your training that can boost your motivation and keep you running, even on days where you’d rather stay home
- Health – running is a fantastic way to boost your physical and mental wellbeing – in fact, even running for 30 minutes can help to battle health issues, boost your mood, improve your sleep, strengthen your heart and lungs and give you focus. Learn more about some of the incredible benefits of training for a marathon with our guide.
- To raise money for charity – most people who run in official marathon events tend to be raising money for a specific charity or cause. In some cases, your entry is secured through charities, and you commit to raising a certain amount for them in order to participate. In others, runners might be raising money or awareness for a cause close to their heart.
HOW TO TRAIN FOR A MARATHON AS A TOTAL BEGINNER
If you’re thinking about starting your marathon training from total beginner level, then the key is to take it gradually. If you rush your training, you’ll be putting your body under a strain it’s not fully prepared for and you’ll risk injuring yourself, which in turn will prevent you from training. By easing your way through a training plan, you’ll build up your strength, fitness and endurance in a measured way that means you’ll be fully prepared to take on the challenge of a marathon.
THE BEST PLAN FOR BEGINNERS’ MARATHON TRAINING
As a beginner, we recommend starting with a smaller goal and stepping your way up to a marathon. Give yourself a set amount of time to reach 5K, then 10K, and even a half marathon distance, before pushing on to achieve the full marathon. As such, the best plan is actually a combination of three of our popular training plans:
- Start with our 5K training plan – it takes 6 weeks and will guide you to running for around 30-40 minutes without stopping.
- Then pick up with our 10K training plan, which starts focusing on building up distance rather than time, taking you from 5K to 10K over the space of 8 weeks.
- Finally, move on to our 20 week full marathon training plan, which picks up where the 10K plan finished, guiding you from running 5 miles right through to completing your first 26.2-mile marathon.
If you’re not sure about aiming for a full marathon, our half marathon training plan is a good follow up to the 5K plan and includes a blend of focusing on time and pace for some runs and distances for others. You build up to running the 13.1 miles or 21 kilometres of a half marathon over 13 weeks. This could be a good starting point and, from there, you can see if you’d like to continue to the full marathon or not.
HOW LONG WILL IT TAKE TO TRAIN FOR A FIRST MARATHON?
Our plans above will take you around 8 months, from complete novice runner right through to crossing the finish line of your first marathon. This might seem like a long time, but you have a long way to go, and it’s important to pace your training carefully.
We also recommend factoring a little extra time into your training for any times you may be ill or have other commitments that might interrupt your plans. So we’d recommend planning around 8 ½ – 9 months to train for your first ever marathon.
20 thoughts on “Marathon Training Guide For (Total) Beginners”
From choosing to play PG SLOT games with the PGSLOT.TO website, everyone will be able to see 3 important reasons why slotxo every gambler chooses to spin PG SLOT even though there are many risky games. Along with online slots games that are currently open for service, there are many games together. Are you ready to meet all 3 reasons in our PG SLOT game? If you are ready, you can meet with those reasons at the same time. The top reasons Another thing in choosing to spin PG SLOT is the number of PG SLOT games that are available to play. Every gambler probably knows that the PG SLOT games that are open to play on the PGSLOT.TO website are more than 200 games as well, each of which PG SLOT offers fun and prize money within the PG SLOT game. Filled with prizes in a clumpy way, entering the PG SLOT game every time will surely find success.
เว็บสล็อตอันดับ 1 รีวิวมากกว่าหมื่นคน สล็อตจ่ายจริง ทำเงินได้ไว แจกไม่มีอั้น สล็อตรวมค่ายเกมใหม่ล่าสุด 2023 amb superslot เข้าเล่นด้วยการสมัครง่ายๆ สล็อตออนไลน์ น่าเล่น
เว็บตรง ไม่ผ่านเอเย่นต์ เล่นสล็อตใหม่ทุกเกม สล็อตค่ายใหญ่ที่สุด รับเครดิตฟรี ถอนได้ไม่มีอั้น เกมpgทดลองเล่น เว็บเกมสล็อตมาใหม่ มาแรง 2023
ทดลองเล่นสล็อต ทุกวันไม่มีเบื่อ เกมสล็อตมาใหม่ มาแรง เติมเงินได้ทั้งวัน ถอนได้ทั้งคืน slot demo ทุกค่าย แจ็คพอตเข้าบ่อยที่สุด สล็อตเกมใหม่
เกมสล็อต แตกดี สล็อตแตกบ่อย จ่ายเงินจริง ถอนได้ง่าย ไม่มีสะดุด เล่นได้ทุกเกมฟรี สมัครเป็นสมาชิกกดรับโบนัสมากมาย pg slot โปรสล็อตสมาชิกใหม่ รวมความสนุกทุกเกม ทุกค่าย จ่ายเงินจริง
The pgslot.bar website is ready to serve you the hottest pgslot online games right now. There are various promotions to support. Giving away a lot of bonus credits, no vest Including online casino games from the most popular camps supporting players across the country.